Search the website

Technical blog: which consultants could I need for my building project?

— 22 May 2019 by Mark Raby


A Land and building surveyor for measured drawings of existing buildings and your site.


Ecological surveys and European Protected Species Licenses (EPSL). Image Ref: Richard Green Ecology


Structural Engineer for structural design and calculations


Quantity Surveyor for budgets and cost monitoring during construction


Services engineer for mechanical & electrical etc. design

consultants for building project survey thumbnail

The various consultants or ‘project team’ that are required will vary depending on the scope and complexity of your project. 

Many of our projects involve existing buildings that are listed and the following consultants are usually required:-

  • Land and building surveyor
    Surveys and prepares measured drawings of existing buildings and your site.
  • Archaeologist/building historian
    Researches information from archives and databases and surveys the historic fabric. With specialist knowledge prepares reports on the history, phasing and historic / architectural / social significance  of the building or complex.
  • Ecological consultant
    Surveys your site and buildings for evidence of protected species and prepares reports for planning.  Often European Protected Species Licenses (EPSL) are required for species such as bats and can have the greatest impact on the timing of the works.
  • Structural engineer
    Provides structural design input and prepares structural designs and calculations.

Larger and more complex projects may involve the above and the following consultants: -

  • Landscape architect
    Where the existing landscape or your new brief is of sufficient complexity you may want to employ this specialist to prepare landscape designs and specifications. 
  • Quantity surveyor
    For smaller projects we are able to advise on budget costs from previous experience and based on £/sqm rates. A Quantity Surveyor may be required for larger or more complex projects to prepare cost plans and assist with valuations during a contract.
  • Services engineer
    Designs and specifies drainage, plumbing, heating, electrical, ventilation services etc. for your building. 
  • Lighting consultant
    Specialist advice on design LUX levels, products, fittings, controls etc.
  • Energy consultant/SAP adviser
    Models and calculates energy use and carbon emissions of your building where this is required by building control, this may be a SAP, SBEM or EPC calculation. 
  • CDM consultant
    Usually we will act as ‘Principle Designer’ where we are overseeing a project on site.  For very complex construction projects you may wish to appoint an independent consultant to act on your behalf.  
  • Hydrologist
    Flood risk assessments using climate and site specific data and hydrological modelling and mapping for flood risk avoidance or mitigation strategy.  
  • Planning consultant
    For projects with complex planning issues, a planning consultant can advise on the best planning approach to achieve the desired planning permission and assist with planning policy, obligations, appeals etc.

The key thing for your project is to understand which consultants you need and at what stage in the project, so specialist input and information can be timed appropriately. 

We can advise you which consultants are required for your project, arrange competitive quotations and liaise with other members of the ‘project team’. Call us or email here if you want to discuss your project.

Recent posts

From the archive

Social feed

  • Jonathan Rhind (2020-01-15 16:32:09)

    RT @SPAB1877: Just for members: *a fabulous quarterly magazine *exclusive events *access to our Property List *priority booking to select…

  • Jonathan Rhind (2020-01-15 15:30:23)

    In a time when villages are losing their post offices, it is great to be part of a project in which the local villa…

  • Jonathan Rhind (2020-01-15 13:47:25)

    A few nice details from a recent job – reclaimed hardwood parquet flooring, an open-string Regency style staircase…

  • Jonathan Rhind (2020-01-15 09:04:55)

    RT @Listed_Property: Just 4 weeks until The Listed Property Show! Saturday 8th & Sunday 9th February Olympia London Membership to The Li…

  • Jonathan Rhind (2020-01-14 15:47:58)

    This rather impressive scaffold has enabled roof and other external work to progress in all weathers #repair…

  • Jonathan Rhind (2020-01-14 13:00:26)

    Read more about the damp towers project, looking at the performance of previous repair projects to damp church towe…

  • Jonathan Rhind (2020-01-14 08:51:15)

    RT @HistoricEngland: Today we’ve released over 2,000 unique images as part of our new #BreakingNewGround project with John Laing Charitable…

  • Jonathan Rhind (2020-01-13 14:06:14)

    RT @Cornish_Lime: We've introduced a new CPD session on Insulating Older Buildings. Spaces are available in Feb, March & April If you'd li…

  • Jonathan Rhind (2020-01-13 10:03:54)

    RT @SPAB1877: Philip Webb, our co-founder, was born #otd in 1831. He was an architect, designer, conservationist and mentor and is often…

  • Jonathan Rhind (2020-01-13 10:02:05)

    RT @CofE_Churchcare: As a reminder, we offer a number of grants to our churches throughout the year. These include grants for fabric repair…

  • Jonathan Rhind (2020-01-08 09:42:27)

    Our plans for the renewal of a Dartmoor farmhouse with a ‘gentrified’ classical elevation has been given the green…

  • Jonathan Rhind (2020-01-08 09:32:30)

    RT @lovenorthdevon: Love this photo, the colours perfectly capture the calm beauty of the Valley of the Rocks!

  • Jonathan Rhind (2020-01-08 09:30:42)

    RT @LandmarkTrust: Need a post-Christmas/New Year break?🤯 Why not book a Landmark property this weekend (10/01/20) for a refreshing histori…

  • Jonathan Rhind (2020-01-08 09:30:04)

    RT @DABuildings: Barnstaple #Devon Butchers Row: Grade I listed, 1855, originally 33 butchers' shops, now amalgamated to form 11 shops wit…

  • Jonathan Rhind (2020-01-08 09:26:07)

    RT @ThatchAdvice: Thatch Advice. Warm Wednesday Welcome to some thatching related organisations - Devon and Cornwall Master Thatchers Assoc…

  • Jonathan Rhind (2019-12-18 14:10:26)

    The new reception pavilion at The Manor in Woolsery will sit within the courtyard behind the main house providing a…

  • Jonathan Rhind (2019-12-17 12:28:52)

    Challenge of the day - how to get a 3.1m high window out of its frame for repair when the stairs are in the way. So…

  • Jonathan Rhind (2019-12-16 12:25:15)

    RT @PCAeng: . @JonathanRhind1 Architects work with The Bridge Trust on all their listed properties and they called on PCA’s lead conservati…

  • Jonathan Rhind (2019-12-10 13:54:27)

    Director Martin Sturley-Hayes is looking forward to attending the @Savills Devon Home Truths event tomorrow. It is…

  • Jonathan Rhind (2019-12-10 09:16:04)

    RT @DABuildings: Winsford Cottage Hospital #Devon designed by CFA Voysey 1899 Golden mosaic floor once covered over by concrete screed and…

  • Jonathan Rhind (2019-12-09 15:57:08)

    The Devon team got into the Christmas spirit last week with their Christmas lunch. They were all having too much fu…

  • Jonathan Rhind (2019-12-09 14:41:35)

    Having posted some images of our favourite gutters a couple of weeks ago, here is a little reminder of what can go…

  • Jonathan Rhind (2019-12-04 16:07:04)

    Jonathan Rhind, last month took part in a Historic England - Damp Towers site visit and conference. Read more about…

  • Jonathan Rhind (2019-12-02 10:47:11)

    The grey wet weather didn’t dampen the mood at the RICS Conservation Seminar @PortEliotEstate last week. A great tu…

  • Jonathan Rhind (2019-12-02 09:54:14)

    RT @HE_SouthWest: Maintaining an Older Home | Historic England via @HistoricEngland

Get in touch to see how we can help you

Contact us
Scroll up