A pair of new houses within the grade II listed walled garden, one of a number of listed structures around the old Rousdon Estate built in 1883-86 for Sir Henry Peek as a single country estate with all mod cons for the time. The huge walled garden was not only for the production of vegetables and flowers for the household but also served as a destination on a walk around the grounds. The pavilions at the centre of the walls on the axis of the terrace to the south and the corner belvederes giving views to the sea over the fields and woods. These large six bedroom houses (600 square metres) have planning consent as a pair but each respective purchaser wanted to change the details, one to be more traditional, the other more modern. We have negotiated variations with the planners that reflect these differences. The traditional one has levels of insulation and energy performance that meet current building regulations but do not exceed them. The modern version is as sustainable as possible, with increased insulation to the floors, walls and roofs, independent solar hot water heating and higher specification. High quality finishes will be achieved with resin floors, Dinesen wide plank floorboards and sophisticated heating controls.